Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Cambridge

To finish off my lectures at Britain's top 3 museums (top 3 according to my professor, anyway), I went to Cambridge's Fitzwilliam Museum. I had heard that the British Museum in London was the best, followed by the Ashmolean in Oxford and then the Fitzwilliam in Cambridge. After going myself, I'd have to say that the British Museum is the best, then the Fitzwilliam, and then the Ashmolean, but it's pretty close between the last two. The British Museum blows the other two out of the water, no contest. They all are pretty amazing though. As far as cities go, I'd say London, Oxford, then Cambridge. Cambridge just didn't impress me as much, although I didn't have much time for anything else since I got to Cambridge much later than I wanted to, and it's a longer journey because you have to travel to London first. So, unfortunately I didn't take many pictures. There were, of course, some nice old churches, like this one:



This is one of Cambridge's many colleges that make up the University of Cambridge. All around the city, including at the colleges I saw, bikes lined most of the fences.



Another college, which I couldn't quite get a full picture of. Apparently it's a nice hangout for taxis.



And finally, the Fitzwilliam Museum. The building looks much like the British Museum on the outside.



I tried to get the whole front in this shot but this is the most I could get, I already had my back to a wall.



Like the Ashmolean Museum, the Fitzwilliam doesn't allow pictures inside unfortunately, except in the entryway but the British Museum does. It was very dimly lit.



I'm glad I got to go check out Cambridge at least once. It's similar to Oxford, and it's worth a trip at least once.

No comments:

Post a Comment